August 03, 2009

Learning About the Religion in US

Kushtia univ minar poemsImage via Wikipedia
I have been living in the United States for quite some time, for more than 6 years and now I am getting into what you might call their dumbness. Well, it's not the dumbness of the Americans and what I mean by Americans are those who have come here with European, African or other decendent. I am talking about the Hindus, mostly Bangladeshi Hindus and their ways to keep the religion going on us the young generation. We are the ones that are for the next generation and will come to become one that is to keep the Pujas, groups of Hindus going in at least the Western countries.

About a week ago, I went to a training evening program for the upcoming birthday celebration of Krishna. Well, there all this thoughts came up that I thought would be great to jot down in a blog post. So there, there were mostly two or three man who gave the training. They asked questions about Krishna like who his mother was, his father was, where he grew up and that sort. So in a bunch of about twenty kids, me and my brother were two of them. My brother being a college student hated being there because he was among the kids that were all there. That made him feel really sick and embarrassed.

But for me, I didn't feel any of that but felt something that I thought would change the whole scene in that place. The men tried to control the kids but they couldn't keep up with the noise and started telling them to act like it was a school and at that the kids grew into laughter. Saying such phrases would change the scene for sure but they seemed not to know that. The three of them explained what we had to do in English as if no one understood Bangla. Everyone just wanted to do the drama and that was all, there was nothing more than that.

The first point that these people had to understand was that if they want to imprint our culture, our tradition in every kid of the next generation then they will have to teach them Bangla. The kids now speak Bangla but in a English accent. These are all because of where they were born and how they were taught. I think that they should be first taught about who we are and our language. If these new generation learns about our language, then they would automatically understand what they are supposed to do for their religion. Every parent should understand that keeping the traditions is not a back-dated way of life but a great way that could take you forward.

In this modern times, you are required to learn new languages and this language would help you succeed in the future. There are many in this world who does not understand English and you have to use their language to communicate with them. I see parents asking their question to their kids in Bangla and they reply back with English which the parents understand enough to know what they have said. Some take it as a credit not to know Bangla but is it really a credit?

I want to say to those Sri Krishna Bhakta Shangha, Sreemadbhagabhat Gita Shangha and other groups that are in the United States mostly in New York which I have seen, please teach your children about Bangla first and then everything else. If they know Bangla, then you would not have to teach them about our religion. They will be the ones who would ask the question, so just teach them Bangla at home.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I told you that all comment will be gone, if you don't use that gadget anymore. I am true. Am I not?

    aR
    Bangla Hacks

    ReplyDelete
  2. aR, thank you for your trick. I got to check your site to see what other tricks that you put by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, but why do you use foreign template. Use 'deshi template' modifiyed by me.

    If you don't like any design, then ask me what do you want.

    Thanks

    aR
    Bangla Hacks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. If I need any I will change it to deshi templates but now, I will be using this because it's better with the topic of the blog.

    Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete