January 03, 2010

Book Review: Siddhartha

 I just finished reading the book Siddhartha  by Herman Hesse, and thought it would be wise to write what I learned from such book with philosophical words. A work of fiction it might be but nothing that would say that it does not teach anyone anything. But the question that I got answers to and what I learned said a lot for more many of the teachings that one can receive from these books.
First let me say what the name Siddhartha means "he who has found meaning (of existence)" or "he who has attained his goals".

Wikipedia summaries the story up in really short and I would not elaborate on that any longer just giving the link to that:





What I worth know to talk about is the philosophical words found in the story that claimed my attention. The themes of curing from the sickness of life was one of the themes that were portrait in the story. But the quotes of the story claimed my into the story. How peaceful it was may be said though this lines:
“Siddhartha,” he said, “why are you waiting?”
“You know why.”
“Will you go on standing and waiting until it is day, noon, evening?”
“I will stand and wait.”
“You will grow tired, Siddhartha.”
“I will grow tired.”
“You will fall asleep, Siddhartha.”
“I will not fall asleep.”
“You will die, Siddhartha.”
“I will die.”
It said it all, and all that was needed for them. He knew everything but still tried to keep himself calm at many stages. The way that the story combines the way through the story, builds up a fine barrier for the story that would include all that aspects to the life and prospects of life in stories like these. The way that he saw life in everything, that nothing is perfect even the self proclaimed perfect can be perfected to make a better perfection. He shall live the life of others through perfection as Siddhartha himself showed how to learn more and more he had to give up himself to learn about the world and the nearby. He had to give up his perfection and how he tried to grip himself away from the world. He was not able to at any moment in time and he lost it, regained it.

There is no thing which would be Nirvana; there is just the word Nirvana

This is another great quote in the book that could catch the attention but the most important that I found in my opinion was when they talked about how an act or person is never sinful or virtue all the way but is both at the same time. It is never perfect and that is again told in these words. Nothing is perfect and can be perfected but still cannot be perfect as time passes. Until you do not feel time, until the point when you feel that you have joined the universal Self, that is the time when you can call yourself "almost perfect".

No comments:

Post a Comment